Who we are
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
To be able to effectively provide you with the full extent of our services, we collect personal information about you when you use our platforms. Depending on the services you are utilizing, this information can include:
- Contact Information, Account, Profile Information. Such as your first name, last name, phone number, postal address, email address, date of birth, and profile photo, some of which will depend on the features you use.
- Identity Verification and Payment Information. Such as images of your government-issued ID (as permitted by applicable laws), bank account, or payment account information.
Information you choose to give us.
You can choose to provide us with additional personal information. This information may include:
- Additional Profile Information. Such as gender, preferred language(s), city, and personal description. Some of this information as indicated in your account settings is part of your public profile page and will be publicly visible.
- Other Information. Such as when you fill in a form, add information to your account, respond to surveys, post comments, participate in promotions, communicate with our customer care team and other Members, or share your experience with us. This may include health information if you choose to share it with us.
Information Automatically Collected by Using the CSTAR International or Recovery and Retreats Platform and our Payment Services.
When you use the CSTAR International and Recovery and Retreats Platforms and Payment Services, we automatically collect personal information. This information may include:
- Geo-location Information. Such as precise or approximate location determined from your IP address or mobile device’s GPS depending on your device settings. We may also collect this information when you’re not using the websites if you enabled this through your settings or device permissions.
- Usage Information. Such as the pages or content you view, searches for Listings, bookings you have made, and other actions on the CSTAR International and Recovery and Retreats Platforms.
- Log Data and Device Information. Such as details about how you’ve used our websites (including if you clicked on links to third-party applications), IP address, access dates and times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information, unique identifiers, crash data, cookie data, and the pages you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the CSTAR International and Recovery and Retreats Platforms. We may collect this information even if you haven’t created an account or logged in.
- Cookies and Similar Technologies as described below
When you visit our sites, we may send your computer a “cookie,” a small file that resides on your computer’s hard drive and stores information about your website preferences. We may collect certain information about all users of the sites such as an Internet Protocol (IP) address, the type of browser and operating system used, the date and time visited, and the pages visited. This information is captured for our usage in learning about our visitors, to help us continually improve your online experience with us. Please note that blocking cookies may prevent you from accessing all of the features of the sites.
- Payment Transaction Information. Such as payment instrument used, date and time, payment amount, payment instrument expiration date and billing postcode, PayPal email address, IBAN information, your address, and other related transaction details.
Personal Information We Collect from Third Parties.
We collect personal information from other sources, such as:
- Third-Party Services. If you link, connect, or log in to the CSTAR International or Recovery and Retreats Platform with a third party service (e.g. Google, Facebook), you direct the service to send us information such as your registration, friends list, and profile information is controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
- Background Information. If you have signed up as a partner or vendor with the CSTAR International or Recovery and Retreats Platform, we may obtain local police, accreditation, and background checks. We may use your information, including your full name and date of birth, to obtain such reports.
- Referrals and co-travelers. If you are invited to the CSTAR International or Recovery and Retreats Platform such as a co-traveler on a trip, the person who invited you can submit personal information about you such as your email address or other contact information.
- Other Sources. We may receive health information, demographic data, and background information about you to the extent permitted by the applicable law to help detect fraud and safety issues from third-party service providers and/or partners and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive background check results or fraud warnings from identity verification service providers for use in our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts. We may receive information about you and your activities on and off the CSTAR International or Recovery and Retreats Platform, or about your experiences and interactions from our partners.
- Embedded content from other websites
Who we share your data with
Where you provide consent, we share your information as described at the time of consent, such as when authorizing a third-party application or website to access your account or participating in promotional activities by our partners or third parties.
Where permissible with applicable law, we may use certain information about you to generate leads, drive traffic to the CSTAR International or Recovery and Retreats Platform, or otherwise promote our products and services.
Sharing Between Members.
To help facilitate bookings or other interactions between Members, we may need to share certain information such as:
- When a booking request is made or dispute is submitted, certain information may be shared between Guest(s) and Host(s), including profile, name, names of any additional Guests, cancellation history, review information, age of guest (unless prohibited by applicable law), dispute outcome (when applicable) and other information you choose to share and submit. When a booking is confirmed, additional information is shared to assist with coordinating the trip, like profile photo and phone number. When you as a Host have a confirmed booking, certain information is shared with the Guest (and the additional Guests they invite, if applicable) to coordinate the booking, such as your profile, full name, phone number, and Listing address.
- When you as a Host invite another Member to host with you, you authorize that person to access and update your information and Member Content, including but not limited to certain information like your full name, phone number, Accommodation address, calendar, Listing information, Listing photos, and email address.
- When you as a Guest invite additional Guests to a booking, your full name, travel dates, Hostname, Listing details, the Accommodation address, and other related information will be shared with each additional Guest.
Information You Publish in Profiles, Listings, and Other Public Information.
You can make certain information publicly visible to others, such as:
- Your public profile page, which includes your profile photo, first name, description, and city.
- Listing pages that include information such as the Accommodation or Experience’s approximate or precise location description, calendar availability, profile photo, aggregated demand information (like page views over a period of time), and additional information you choose to share.
- Reviews, ratings, and other public feedback.
- Content in a community or discussion forum, blog, or social media post.
We may display parts of your public profile and other Content you make available to the public like Listing details on third-party sites, platforms, and apps.
Information you share publicly on our Platforms may be indexed through third-party search engines. In some cases, you may opt-out of this feature in your account settings.
Host Service Providers.
Hosts may use third-party services to help manage or deliver their services, such as cleaning services or lock providers. Hosts may use features on the CSTAR International or Recovery and Retreats Platform to share information about the Guest (like check-in and check-out dates, Guest name, Guest phone number) with such third-party service providers.
Complying with Law, Responding to Legal Requests, Preventing Harm, and Protecting our Rights.
We may disclose your information to courts, law enforcement, governmental or public authorities, tax authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required or permitted to do so by law or where disclosure is reasonably necessary: (i) to comply with our legal obligations, (ii) to comply with a valid legal request or to respond to claims asserted against CSTAR International, (iii) to respond to a valid legal request relating to a criminal investigation to address alleged or suspected illegal activity, or to respond to or address any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal or regulatory liability (more information on CSTAR International’s Law Enforcement Guidelines), (iv) to enforce and administer our agreements with Members, or (v) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of CSTAR International, its employees, its Members, or members of the public. For example, if permitted due to the foregoing circumstances, Host tax information may be shared with tax authorities or other governmental agencies.
Where appropriate, we may notify Members about legal requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon or harm to CSTAR International, our Members, or expose us to a claim of obstruction of justice.
For jurisdictions where CSTAR International facilitates the collection and remittance of Taxes where legally permissible according to applicable law, we may disclose Hosts’ and Guests’ information about transactions, bookings, Accommodations, and occupancy taxes to the applicable tax authority, such as Host and Guest names, Listing addresses, transaction dates and amounts, tax identification number(s), the amount of taxes received (or due) by Hosts from Guests, and contact information.
In jurisdictions where CSTAR International facilitates or requires a registration, notification, permit, or license application of a Host with a local governmental authority through CSTAR International in accordance with local law, we may share information of participating Hosts with the relevant authority, both during the application process and, periodically thereafter, such as the Host’s full name and contact details, Accommodation address, tax identification number, listing details, and a number of nights booked.
Third-Party Partners & Integrations.
You can exercise any of the rights described in this section consistent with applicable law. See here for information on data subject rights requests and how to submit a request. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity and request before taking further action on your request.
Learn more about rights under GDPR here.
If your country of residence in China, learn more about your rights here.
Managing Your Information.
You can access and update some of your personal information through your Account settings. If you connected your CSTAR International or Recovery and Retreats Account to a third-party service, like Facebook or Google, you can change your settings and unlink from that service in your Account Settings. You are responsible for keeping your personal information up to date.
Data Access and Portability.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to request certain copies of your personal information or information about how we handle your personal information, request copies of personal information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format, and/or request that we transmit this information to another service provider (where technically feasible).
In certain jurisdictions, you can request that your personal information be deleted. Please note that if you request the erasure of your personal information:
- We may retain your personal information as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as prevention of money laundering, fraud detection and prevention, and enhancing safety. For example, if we suspend a CSTAR International or Recovery and Retreats Account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain information from that Account to prevent that Member from opening a new CSTAR International or Recovery and Retreats Account in the future.
- We may retain and use your personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations. For example, CSTAR International or Recovery and Retreats Platform may keep information for tax, legal reporting, and auditing obligations.
- Information you have shared with others (e.g., Reviews, forum postings) will continue to be publicly visible on our websites, even after your CSTAR International or Recovery and Retreats Account are canceled. However, the attribution of such information to you will be removed. Some copies of your information (e.g., log records) will remain in our database but are disassociated from personal identifiers.
- Because we take measures to protect data from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your personal information may not be removed from our backup systems for a limited period of time.
While no organization can guarantee perfect security, we are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration.
14 Harwood Court, Suite 415
Scarsdale, NY 10583